Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Power of a Pool


OK, I confess. I am a horrible Floridian...there are so many reasons I don't fit well with Florida (that's a whole other post), but one reason in particular is the fact that I don't like pools. And in Florida, pools are a way of life, especially in the dreadfully hot summer months. But I don't care for them. I don't like being in them, and now that we have one, I have found that I hate taking care of them. Who knew what a royal pain pool care could be. But anyway, as much as I don't like pools myself and the upkeep drives me crazy, I have to admit pools are a God send when you have a 1st grader and a 4th grader during the lazy days of summer. Pools seems to have magical powers with kids. First of all, they never seem to get bored with the pool. That is amazing in and of itself seeing how my kids get bored with everything(Mama Jane would have some words for them!). They will sulk at the idea of playing this game or doing that activity, but given the opportunity to jump in the pool, it is greeted with enthusiasm and jolly smiles every time. They can go for a dip in the morning and be chomping at the bit to get in again after lunch. Day in and day out, it never seems to get old. But the most baffling power the pool has with my kids is it's ability to get them to like each other for more than ten minutes! It's amazing how well they play together in the pool. Don't get me wrong, my kids do like each other and have the ability to play really well together, but as they get older they are disliking each other almost as much as they are liking each other. But when they get in the pool, they're best friends. They create, they encourage, they laugh, and they have fun. I can honestly say I don't think they have ever had a fight while in the pool. It's unbeleievable.
So while I am not a lover of pools, I am all for my kids splish splashing this summer. And wo-hoo for me, they're old enough now that I don't have to get in with them! Score! :-)

No comments: