Friday, May 2, 2008

Thank a teacher!

Next week (May 5-9) is National Teacher Appreciation Week. So if you know a teacher, thank them. If you are a teacher, I thank YOU! Teaching is one of those professions that can be so distorted by politics and media. It irritates me when teachers are looked upon as never satisfied or as the cause of the downfall of education. There are issues in education these days...believe me, I know. But I firmly believe that the vast majority of our teachers do it b/c it is a calling. It is a passion. It is in their blood to teach our children and impact our future generations. And I also believe the majority of them do an outstanding job. I have been in so many classrooms over the last several years. From private schools to public. Title 1 schools, to schools in affluent areas. And I am always in awe of what these teachers have to do outside of the basic "teaching" of curriculum. They are advisors and couselors. They are peace mediators and instructors of positive parenting skills. They are nurses and they are motivators. They are social workers and they are models of character. Some parents don't realize so many kids come to school with so much baggage. And these kids are from all walks of life. And you can't not address that baggage and yet expect the kids to learn the academics. I could go on, but I'll end with my rant with this. Most teachers do their best. And most teachers do an awesome job. I think they deserve a pat on the back and a thank you. Next week is a perfect time to do it.

No comments: