Friday, May 23, 2008

My life is an oxymoron!

Baby Grand, Jumbo Shrimp, Organized Choas.
All oxymorons. But I have a new one to add to the list...

Stay-at-home-mom.

Maybe I'm a rare breed of stay-at-home moms. But I, for one, am NEVER home! I realized this when a lady asked me in the middle of a typical hectic day, "so you stay-at-home with your kids?" I found that to be such an ammusing statement. No, I do not earn income, but the term stay-at-home certainly does not apply to my life!

Then I started thinking about the term "working mom" and thought that is a pretty silly term as well. All moms work! Income or no income, motherhood is work. I know plenty of amazing moms who have careers outside of motherhood, or earn income to help ends meet at home. They work double time. Responsibilities with being a mom and responsibilities with work. "Working mom" doesn't give them half the credit for the responsibilites they hold.

And I know plenty of moms who like myself, choose to not earn income so we can concentrate on volunteering and being a full-time advocate for our kids. But "stay-at home mom" doesn't really describe what we do. Most of the "stay-at-home moms" I know put in enough hours at the schools, or doing other community service, to be considered "full-time" in most any company's human resources handbook.

I understand society wanting terms to describe income making vs. non-income making moms. But I hate lables. I really do. Does it really matter if I earn money or not? Lables often generate seperation. Both ends are sometimes made to feel guilty for choosing what they choose. And that is ridiculous.

The question should not be "are you a stay-at-home mom or do you work?"

The statement should be "you're a mom? Awesome! Thank you for all you do."

No comments: