Monday, November 2, 2009

Someone said it!

UGH. Someone actually said it outloud. "oh- your son is 10 1/2 and off to middle school next year- those tween years are fun!" (and that was said with a hint of sarcasm). Tween. I have a tween. A child lost between childhood and teenager. Too big for Hallowwen costumes and themed birthday parties, but not quite ready for teenage independence and responsibilities. Too big for playdates but too young for real dates (LOL!). Too knowledgable about things for appropriate playground chatter but too immature to discuss that knowledge in any manner other than silly, goofy jokes. Tweens. I have a tween. No longer a naive and innocent boy. A boy that is growing up and is beginning a new chapter. It is scary, but it's cool as I get a front row seat in watching this once little boy grow into a "guy" (sorry- not ready to use the word man yet...give me a few more years to work on that). I get to watch this personality continue to emerge and his strengths and gifts grow and develop. It's sort of fun to see what gifts and abilities God has blessed him with and watch those grow and begin to get used. But still...it is true. It was said aloud. Tween. I am the mother of a tween. Someone get me some valium for when I hear the word "teenager" Oy vey.

No comments: