Friday, November 13, 2009

Santa Claus is coming to town...

Those words just don't hold the power like they once did. There was a time when you mentioned Santa and the boy automatically stood at attention, said please and thank you, was kind to his sister, and got this excited twinkle in his eye as visions of sitting on the big fella's lap and sharing with him the long list of toys he spent half the year making in hopes that Santa would leave all those goodies under the tree. I started humming the tune yesterday while walking through Target (who already has half the store covered in holiday cheer)and all I got was rolling of the eyes. Yep. No longer the automatic call to attention, no excited twinkle in his beautiful green eyes. Just good, ole fashioned, 'tween eye rolling. I'm pretty sure the mystery and thrill of Santa was cracked a couple years ago, but at least he amused me and played along. But yesterday it's like I got the official "I'm over that" sign. The make no mistake- Santa is not coming to town- look. It was subtle yet clear. All I could do was sigh. And keep singing.

No comments: