Friday, September 26, 2008

Like grandmother, like granddaughter!

So my daughter absolutely cracks us up. She is this unique spirit with an amazing sense of humor, so many amazing creative gifts, and an absolutely amazing, very old soul sense to life. I could write a book capturing the things she says, the things she does because they make me laugh and blow me away. But to be honest, she is very different than I am. Sure, I like to think I have a great sense of humor, but it's not nearly as quirky as hers. She loves to laugh, even if she is the only one laughing. And the oddest things she can find such delight and humor in. And sure, I'd like to think I have some creative gifts; I danced for years and wasn't half bad (if I do say so myself),and I'm pretty good at scrap booking (when I can find the time), I like to make homemade invitations and cards, etc. But I have never gotten so lost in the moment when given paints or paper and glue that two hours have gone by and I am frustrated because it's time for lunch. Nope, I'll always stop happily for lunch. She and I are very different, which can sometimes make parenting a challenge. Sure, my son is the one who can freak out over the smallest thing and you have to slowly pull him back in, but I get that. I've been there. I can't say I always get my daughter. But luckily, there are some people who do! Her sense of humor reminds me of my sister. Holly was always a "unique" child. ;-) She always had people laughing and had an imagination that went on for days (ask her about BoogyLand sometime). And she loves to amuse herself. My daughter finds great pleasure in amusing herself as well. But more and more she is reminding me of my mom. The obvious is their love for the arts- anyone who knows my mom knows what an amazing talented artist and seamstress she is. And she danced just like I did as a child, but better. She is very "artsy fartsy" and has an amazing creative mind, of which my daughter has followed. But what cracked me up recently is how much my daughter thinks like my mom. They both are so affected by their surroundings. My mom has been known to actually move furniture in a hotel room b/c it didn't look or feel right. No joke. She cannot feel peace if her physical environment is not comfortable and pleasing. My daughter can be the same. We rearrange her room until it feels good. She is extremely conciencious of how her dolls and stuffed anmimals are displayed because they must look pretty and they have to be able to see. And there are certain places that she just rather not visit. Last weekend we were walking through Sears, for example, and she whispers "this place is creeping me out." I am so not kidding! If that's not my mom, I don't know what is. And it has nothing to do with Sears itself, it's just not pretty. It's dark, practical, and has big yellow sale signs on top of the racks. It simply was not a peaceful feeling for her. I just had to laugh that at six she is so affected. Another way my daughter reminds me of my mom is the fact that so many times she doens't feel grounded. My mom gave me those words, and I think it describes my daughter very well. She is in her own universe and finds it difficult to be a part of our world sometimes. You ask her to do something and she gets so sidetracked that she never ends up doing what was asked in the first place. Obviously, as my mom grew older, she was able to conform to our world, but she still has this off the beaten path way of thinking that wows me from time to time. She's like McGyver. And I see that in my daughter. So although I don't always get her, at least someone does. And I definitley appreciate the talents, gifts, and experiences that having a mind like Mamoo's brings!!! It's a pretty cool thing!

No comments: